"Big B" - YouTube

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: "Big B" - YouTube

Postby damart » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:45 am

Class drumming. It would have been good to have a shortened drum solo on the recent tour.
damart

Postby Arpeggio » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:30 am

Wonderful! Superb clip - which I've never seen before. Lots of drummers do "See You In My Drums" and "Little B" - it would be great to hear "Big B" played live by someone again. So much great material languishing in the archives crying out to be put onto DVD.

Bests...Rob :D
Arpeggio

Postby captainhaddock » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi Rob, As you know I can only totally agree with the sentiments of your e-mail. The gentleman who posted this clip seems to have an un-ending supply of magical Shadows rarities that deserve a DVD release. I believe that he made some form of promise to the original owner that means that this treasure trove will never be released on a commercial basis, what can we do?
captainhaddock

Postby JimN » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:25 pm

Arpeggio wrote:Wonderful! Superb clip - which I've never seen before. Lots of drummers do "See You In My Drums" and "Little B" - it would be great to hear "Big B" played live by someone again. So much great material languishing in the archives crying out to be put onto DVD.

I think this was from one of the ATV spectaculars shown in the summer of 1965 (the same source as the Shads' off-air recording of The Girl From Ipanema).

Interestingly, whilst most "performances" were mimed to the commercial recording, this one (Big B) was clearly a re-recorded semi-live version, mimed in the TV studio (there are no mikes or guitar leads in evidence, and noise from the dancing would have been audible if mikes were used). I feel fairly certain that this is the version released on the Italian Fremus CD "Atlantis".

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby bgohara » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:32 pm

this is a terrific clip - I love the way it is shot - Brian (for once) getting centre stage, with the others 'in the shadows'...very cool
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby AlanMcKillop » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:51 pm

There are reasonable copies of these shows (three specials) in circulation, but a check in the archives shows that they are not listed any longer. :(
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Stageleft » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:44 am

While looking at that Youtube clip this one appeared on the list---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXM1-LTP ... re=channel
What's going on here and with live audience too--anyone know why??
stageleft
Stageleft

Full Real Name: john james

Postby Arpeggio » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:44 am

I have seen that clip before many, many years ago. Memory being what it is....I can't recall where / when / why.!!! Sure someone will though.

Arpeggio

Postby Frank Marvin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:26 pm

Has anyone noticed that Hank doesn't come in with the melody straight after the drum solo? I'm sure it's not intentional, I don't think the original is like that. It adds credence to it being played live, but strange that there's no equipment around.
Frank Marvin

Postby robin_drums » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:28 pm

The Big B clip shows, what in my opinion, is Brian Bennett at his finest. Such a clear sound. His white Premiers I think. And played very much like Buddy Rich.
Fantastic. I'd love to see other clips like that.

I've looked at the clip again and I was wrong they are his silver sparkle Ludwigs. In my defence it was the lighting that made them look white.
robin_drums

Return to The Shadows