The Time Inbetween

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Time Inbetween

Postby UlrichS » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:15 am

StuartD wrote:This song is very interesting.

I remember when it came out that it was originally going to be the Shadows single release and when Cliff heard it he begged them to let it be his next single. I may be mistaken but I think they used the Shads version and took off Hank's voice and recorded Cliff's. I am not usre what the Shads released instead but I am sure someone witll ahve the NME article somewhere.

Regards

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

It took me some time to find the NME article, but you are correct. The Shads wanted to record "The Time In Between" first but gave it to Cliff and recorded "Don't Make My Baby Blue" instead.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby JimN » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:04 am

Thanks for posting that clip, Ulrich - very informative!

[One tip - why not reduce the scanned image to monochrome before uploading? This would reduce the file size without affecting its legibility in any way.]

I love some of the peripheral information on these reproduced musical press pages. Clearly, for pop music fans, Blackpool was the place to be in August 1965. One had one's pick of Freddy & The Dreamers at the Queen's Theatre (RIP, Freddy), Mark Wynter at the ABC Theatre, Kenny Ball and Susan Maughan at the Winter Garden, Billy J Kramer (presumably with The Dakotas) and Edmund Hockridge at the North Pier and the more attractive bill of Gerry & The Pacemakers, Gene Vincent and the Karl Denver Trio at the South Pier.

Great Yarmouth wasn't far behind, with a similar galaxy of stars at four venues - including the wonderful Matt Monro.

Hmm... where are my Matt Monro CDs?

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Phil from Melbourne » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:13 am

These tracks are great examples of the Burns era sound and among my favourites. Would I be right in that Hank was using the bridge/middle pickup position? Great sound and improvisation.

It was great that Deep Purple was eventually issued. Great track and I'm surprised so few comments about it on this site.

Regards

Philip Davey
Phil from Melbourne

Postby UlrichS » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:24 pm

JimN wrote:
[One tip - why not reduce the scanned image to monochrome before uploading? This would reduce the file size without affecting its legibility in any way.]

JN

Hi Jim,

With jpegs the difference is not that much. :cry: The 'coloured' pic has 341 kB and the grayscaled version still has 329 kB (using 8 bit reduction).
If you should know about a better method I would like to know about it. :roll:

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby captainhaddock » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:22 pm

Like many others on this site, I am not so much of a Cliff fan but I am most definitely a Shadows fanatic. It is a real bonus to discover tracks like "The Time Inbetween" because of the bands fantastic backing of Cliff. I find it almost as satisfying as discovering a new Shadows track. I recently found a Cliff track from about the same era called "The Night" this has a great backing track by the Shadows and can be found on you-tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDgSECms_VI , should find it for you.
captainhaddock

Postby StuartD » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:29 pm

captainhaddock wrote:Like many others on this site, I am not so much of a Cliff fan but I am most definitely a Shadows fanatic. It is a real bonus to discover tracks like "The Time Inbetween" because of the bands fantastic backing of Cliff. I find it almost as satisfying as discovering a new Shadows track. I recently found a Cliff track from about the same era called "The Night" this has a great backing track by the Shadows and can be found on you-tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDgSECms_VI , should find it for you.

Hi. Some great tracks from that time. The Night - written by Hank - is one of them. Somebody Loses is another. There are also some great tracks from both Cinderella and Finders Keepers and one I really like from slightly earlier; Your Eyes Tell on You.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby captainhaddock » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:29 pm

StuartD wrote:
captainhaddock wrote:Like many others on this site, I am not so much of a Cliff fan but I am most definitely a Shadows fanatic. It is a real bonus to discover tracks like "The Time Inbetween" because of the bands fantastic backing of Cliff. I find it almost as satisfying as discovering a new Shadows track. I recently found a Cliff track from about the same era called "The Night" this has a great backing track by the Shadows and can be found on you-tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDgSECms_VI , should find it for you.

Hi. Some great tracks from that time. The Night - written by Hank - is one of them. Somebody Loses is another. There are also some great tracks from both Cinderella and Finders Keepers and one I really like from slightly earlier; Your Eyes Tell on You.

Regards

Stuart

Hi, Just found both of the tracks you mentioned on you-tube. I can't help feeling that EMI have missed out by not releasing a CD collection of the more obscure Cliff and The Shadows tracks, would it be to much to ask that they do it soon ?
captainhaddock

Postby StuartD » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:12 pm

captainhaddock wrote:
StuartD wrote:

Regards

Stuart

Hi, Just found both of the tracks you mentioned on you-tube. I can't help feeling that EMI have missed out by not releasing a CD collection of the more obscure Cliff and The Shadows tracks, would it be to much to ask that they do it soon ?

Hi

You obviously like this era!! Check out: The La La La song, Finders Keepers, Why wasn't I born Rich, She Needs Him More Than Me, Come Sunday, This Day, Hey Doctor Man (Very Everly's), Someday (You'll Want Me to Want You) and Take Special Care. All really good tracks from this period.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby captainhaddock » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:41 pm

Hi Stuart, Many thanks for the tips, I shall have to seek them out !. Yes this era seems to mark the start of my Shadows obcession maybe this is due to having been born in 1962 I started to become musically aware around 1965 onwards. I can remember the publicity for the film "Finders Keepers" in 1966 and this remains my favourite Cliff/Shadows film. For me, this film has dated less than the others and I find it less cringe making than "Wonderful Life". It seems strange that Sidney Hayers, who directed "Finders Keepers" went on to produce "The Professionals". It is sad that The Shadows were not given the chance to make a bigger film than "Rhythm and Greens", the band had/have a great chemistry together and it comes out well wherever they appear. All the best from Philip.
captainhaddock

Postby Syd62 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:10 pm

You'll have excuse the delay for this reply but I've only just come across it. In the late seventies A DJ called Roger Scott on Capital Radio who is no longer with us had a daily feature on his show at 4.30 which started off playing all the Elvis Presley chart singles.(one a day). When Elvis finished he decided to play all The Cliff singles, with Cliff talking about each single in turn. I remember Cliff saying how much he loved Hanks guitar on the song. (I've still got the tape recordings up in the loft somewhere). Its also happens to be one of fav songs of Cliff. Once Cliff had finished he went on to do the same with the Shadows with Hank and Bruce talking about each record in turn then he did the same with the Beatles but they did not do any chat. Hope this clears up the mystery.
Syd62

Full Real Name: Syd Langston

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows