The Time Inbetween

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Time Inbetween

Postby drakula63 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:33 pm

Excuse my ignorance.

I've just heard, for the first time, a great Cliff song called The Time Inbetween. I am guessing that it's from the mid to late 60s. My question is, are the Shads backing him on this? It sounds like them, but you can never be 100% sure in some cases. I can easily believe that it could be Brian on drums, but the lead guitar sounds a bit weak for Hank. The backing vocals also sound very Shadows-like, with what sounds like Bruce's voice quite noticeable here and there. I'm sure that it probably is the Shads, but could someone put me out of my misery. Please!

:?
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: The Time Inbetween

Postby UlrichS » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi Chris,

The single credits Cliff Richard & The Shadows.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby Bill Bowley » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:52 pm

That sure is The Shads -and please note the great sound of the original Burns guitars in the backing! ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby JimN » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:09 pm

Ah yes... The Time In Between (alternatively known as Hymn To The Major Seventh Chord).

That's the Shadows, and as already noted above, Hank on Burns Marvin (with marked use of DeArmond 610 pedal).

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby drakula63 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:11 pm

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I was pretty certain that it was them - but now I know! A great song; maybe they'll play it at their next reunion?!!!

;)
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby StuartD » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:26 pm

This song is very interesting.

I remember when it came out that it was originally going to be the Shadows single release and when Cliff heard it he begged them to let it be his next single. I may be mistaken but I think they used the Shads version and took off Hank's voice and recorded Cliff's. I am not usre what the Shads released instead but I am sure someone witll ahve the NME article somewhere.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby strongbow » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:59 pm

The Time In Between was recorded in Lisbon on May 10, 1965. The Shadows line-up backing Cliff was Hank, Bruce, Brian & John. It was a six-hour session on which five other tracks were recorded.

The other five were:

• Someday (released on Cliff’s Love is Forever album)
• Have I Told You Lately That I Love You (also Love is Forever)
• Look Before You Love (B-side to The Time In Between)
• Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall (Finders Keepers album)
• Deep Purple (unreleased until Cliff’s And They Said It Wouldn’t Last box set last year).

I never heard the story about The Shadows actually recording it themselves before Cliff – the version I’m aware of suggests that they were going to do it, but deferred when he showed an interest. The number they put out at the same time was Don’t Make My Baby Blue b/w My Grandfathers Clock, both also recorded in Lisbon during that week’s sessions.
strongbow

Full Real Name: pat murphy

Postby Moderne » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:23 pm

The B-side - Look Before You Love - is also a great song I think. By Arnold, Martin and Morrow.

Clive
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Fenderman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:32 pm

I'm not really a Cliff fan but 'The time in between' is a great track. I heard it months ago on 'Sounds of the 60's' and downloaded it.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby strongbow » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Yes, it's definitely one of his best tracks. At the time, there were high expectations for it chart-wise, but it it did poorly. Perhaps it was just too unusual.

Interestingly, Cliff had four singles that year, two of which – The Minute You’re Gone and Wind Me Up – were big hits, while the other two – The Time In Between and On My Word – were relative disappointments sales-wise. While all four still stand up well today, to my ears the two “flops” are superior to the two big hits. It just goes to show that you never know what the general public will take to.
strongbow

Full Real Name: pat murphy

Next

Return to The Shadows