Hank On 1970 Cliff Richard Show

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hank On 1970 Cliff Richard Show

Postby Arpeggio » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:01 am

Brilliant! Thanks Phil. I missed a lot of those Cliff shows / specials in the early 1970s as I as away at Uni. Unlike today - TVs in rooms were not allowed and the rule was strictly enforced. There was only one TV in a common room shared by potentially 100 students. Generally the majority rule / decision was in force and I was in a minority insofar as watching the Cliff Richard Show on Saturday evenings went!! Anyway - great to see Hank / Cliff / Una Stubbs clowning around. Plus - the fascinating edited / truncated Sacha. Seemed to be partly the recorded version for backing at least. The ocean 'interludes' enabled Hank to hand the acoustic to someone off camera and then back for the electric section with the (presumably) green Burns and then reverse the process for the finale. Just great to watch this (nearly) 40 years old show. Thanks for drawing it to our attention.

Bests....Rob :)
Arpeggio

Postby JimN » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:57 am

Arpeggio wrote:... the fascinating edited / truncated Sacha. Seemed to be partly the recorded version for backing at least ... Bests....Rob :)

Rob, that's a mimed performance (not to the commercial track, admittedly).

[No guitar lead].

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Arpeggio » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi Jim,
Thanks for that. Yes, I realise that Hank wasn't playing live - but he still went through the motions of swapping the guitars. Great to see it. Phil - yeah, I guess Lulu's Song For Europe shows were just about as 'cool' as Cliff's for students of the era!! LOL.

Best wishes to you both.

Rob :D
Arpeggio

Postby bgohara » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:44 pm

Phil - thank you - I enjoyed that very much - one of my favourites - and I loved seeing Hank play that one live on his solo tours (playing the acoustic sections on the stand, then switching to electric for the solos).
Yes - not the commercial version - but I wonder did he record the original with a nylon strung guitar? Great sound. He used (I think) a nylon strung guitar on a couple of the 'Lloyd Webber' album tracks. There's a little run in 'tell me on a sunday' which is superb

Bernie
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Return to The Shadows