Midnight

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Midnight

Postby Fenderman » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:37 pm

I've been listening to both the mono and stereo versions of Midnight, does anyone know why the stereo version has parts where it's distorted whereas the mono version doesn't? Was there two takes?
Is this a technical fault or something Norrie forgot to correct? Kind of detracts from the pleasure of the track so i mostly play the mono version now.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Re: Midnight

Postby iefje » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:45 pm

Yes, there have been technical problems during the recording session, resulting in fluctuations in the sound level. This is, as you mentioned, especially noticeable on the stereo mix. The mono mix also has it to some degree, but the overall sound balance is much better. I don't think it could have been corrected afterwards, because both the mono and stereo mix were made live in the studio, with two microphone setups, one for mono and one for stereo recording. The stereo mix on the Australian compilation CD "The Shadows Favourites" and on the American compilation CD "The Shadows Are Go!" are much better. Somehow, some tweaking has been done to make the stereo mix sound better on these CDs.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Return to The Shadows